A psalm of David.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
What’s with an ________________?
The Shepherd’s _______________?
a. Makes me lie down (vs 2a)
Psalm 4:8 “I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety”
b. Leads me (vs 2b)
c. Restores (vs 3a)
d. Guides (vs 3b)
e. Remains/Present (vs 4b)
f. Defends/Protects (vs 4c)
g. Comforts (vs 4c)
h. Prepares (vs 5a)
i. Anoints my head with oil (vs 5b)
What We Learn About the Shepherd’s Character:
d. For His _________________ (vs. 3b)
Our Response to the Shepherd’s Leading:
a. _________________ (verse 1)
b. _________________ (verses 2-3)
c. _________________ (verse 6)
(G)od created us to be with Him.
(O)ur sins separate us from God.
(S)ins cannot be removed by good deeds (like cast sheep).
(P)aying the price for sin, Jesus died and rose again.
(E)veryone who trusts in Him alone has eternal life.
(L)ife with Jesus starts now and lasts forever.
“That if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.”
Confess – that the Gospel is true.
Believe – place your faith in Christ alone for salvation.
QUESTIONS FOR FURTHER STUDY AND REFLECTION
To find a summer group or for more information
TEXT “gfgroups” to 474747 or visit the link above.
· Growth Challenge: Read Psalm 23 each day this week.
· What stood out to you in Sunday’s message?
· Sheep are a peculiar livestock. Is there something about sheep that you tend to identify with personally?
· God is described as the Good Shepherd. In what ways does that truth bring you encouragement?
· Are you currently experiencing valleys in your life? How does knowing that God is with you help?
· A Good Shepherd pursues the needs of his sheep. How does that impact you, knowing that God pursues His children?
· Vs. 6 says that we will “Dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” What comes to mind when you think that?
· How does knowing the Character of the Good Shepherd help with being content (vs. 1) ?
· Consider reading the book “A Shepherds look at Psalm 23” by Phillip Keller for a deeper look at this amazing Psalm.